From 2015-2018, schools and school districts around Massachusetts participated in a project to pilot the Seal of Biliteracy on the local level, as we awaited approval of a state award in the legislature.
- 2015-16: 10 schools/districts made over 300 awards
- 2016-17: 17 schools/districts made over 900 awards
- 2017-18: Almost 150 educators from 100 schools/districts have joined our workgroup, and the number of awards under the final year of the Pilot Project is expected to rise.
A State Seal of Biliteracy was established in the LOOK Act in November 2017. The first awards under the new law will take place in 2019. Guidance from the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education is forthcoming. See the OELAAA website for updates.
- Contact us to let us know about your plans.
- Join the Seal of Biliteracy MA Google Group to connect with other educators involved in the pilot project.
- Frequently Asked Questions about the Massachusetts Seal of Biliteracy and Seal Implementation Process
- View news about the pilot from the LOC blog.
- 2017 Seal of Biliteracy Toolkit – Revised Jan 2018 pdf version/doc version
This toolkit provides guidelines for local implementation of the Seal of Biliteracy. Developed by the Seal of Biliteracy working group, a group of Massachusetts educators from one-way immersion, two-way immersion, bilingual, English language development, and world language programs, it is intended to support District/School Leaders responsible for implementing Seal of Biliteracy pilot programs.
- Share information about this pilot with the Seal of Biliteracy Pilot Project Flier.
- National Guidelines for Implementing the Seal of Biliteracy (2015) from ACTFL, NABE, TESOL & NCSSFL, used to inform the development of our Toolkit.