There will be a hearing on the Seal of Biliteracy bills before the Joint Committee of Education Tuesday, June 27, 2017, 10 am, Room A2 at the Massachusetts State House,
Be prepared to testify on behalf of …
- S.311 An Act to promote global trade and economic development through biliteracy (Sponsor: Senator Karen Spilka)
- H.285 An Act to promote global trade and economic development through biliteracy (Sponsor: Representative Kay Khan)
- H.2045 An Act relative to the state seal of biliteracy (Sponsor: Representative Bradley Jones)
We are seeking testimony in favor of the bills, either in person or in writing. Submit written testimony to the committee co-chairs:
- Representative Alice Peisch: Alice.Peisch@mahouse.gov
- Senator Sonia Chang-Diaz: Sonia.Chang-Diaz@masenate.gov
GUIDANCE FOR ORAL TESTIMONIALS
Testimonials that tell a story about individuals are very powerful. Focus on what you know and care about. Think about what you know and have experienced and present your concerns and ideas for better solutions. (Possible Topics: Pathway Awards, Seal of Bilitearcy Pilot experience, personal experience learning a second language, personal experience using two or more languages in your job or career, personal experience as a student in a language learning program.) You have so much to offer policy conversations without having to be a data or policy expert. Plan to speak for no more than 3 minutes.
GUIDANCE FOR WRITTEN TESTIMONY
You can submit written testimony to the Chairs of the committee and cc: your State Senator and State Representative. Here is the list of names for the Joint Education Committee Chairs and members. Bring a written copy of our testimony to leave with the committee, as well. You can bring just one copy of testimony, and the staff will make copies for the Committee files, or you can bring enough for all committee members (~20) if you prefer. You can bring other visual handouts to attach with your testimony, too.
- Limit the text to 1.5 pages
- Include your name, address, where you work or study, what you do for work,
- State “I am ….
- State I am in favor of the bill S311, H285, H 2045 and this is why.
- Pick one action point listed in the Seal of Biliteracy Talking Points and speak to that.
- State “I recommend that bill S311, H285, H 2045 should be passed.
See the Seal of Biliteracy page for resources and fact sheets.
LET US KNOW YOU ARE TESTIFYING
Please use the Contact Us page if you plan to testify or send testimony, and send us an electronic copy of your testimony so that we can post them on the Coalition blog site.