The public comment period on the LOOK Act is open until May 18. The proposed changes include the proposal requirement for establishing an alternative EL program, EL Parent Advisory Councils, criteria for the Seal of Biliteracy, requirements for the Bilingual Education Endorsement, and SEI Endorsement for Vocational Technical teachers and changes to voc-tech licensure requirements.
We urge all stakeholders to review the proposed regulations and comment!
Note: Public comments are public documents. All submitted comments can be, and are often, released to the public. Avoid using professional title, organization or affiliation
unless you have approval.
Language Opportunity Coalition Statements
- Coalition’s full submission for public comment on the proposed LOOK Act regulations, including our statement opposing the Seal of Biliteracy regulations.
- Summary of comments opposing the Seal of Biliteracy regulations.
How to Submit Public Comment
- Sample LOOK Act Public Comment Letter (.rtf) – Customize to give your input!
- Slides from our recent webinar LOOK Act Regulations – Public Comment 101: How to provide input (pdf)
- The Policy Minute (Mass Teacher Association) resources: https://thepolicyminute.com/tag/look-act/
Department of Elementary and Secondary Education Resources:
- OELAAA LOOK Act page: http://www.doe.mass.edu/ell/look-act.html
- Links and instructions to submit public comment: http://www.doe.mass.edu/news/news.aspx?id=24910
- Summary and text of proposed regulations: http://www.doe.mass.edu/bese/docs/fy2018/2018-03/item3.html